Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Marvel's Infinite Comics
03-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Marvel's Infinite Comics
What do you dudes think Marvel's Infinite Comics is going to be?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2012, 07:45 AM
RE: Marvel's Infinite Comics
I said it on twitter, but I'd like to see a discussion of this. I know Marvel said last year that they were working on rolling out the Digital Comics Unlimited subscription service for iOS (and presumably Android), and along with hints they've made about "new distribution methods" it would make sense for this to be the roll-out announcement of that. Especially since SXSW seems to be spotlighting digital initiatives.

It also could be some type of new motion comic tie-in to AvX because for some reason they love that bullshit but I can't think of it ever looking like anything other than hot trash.

Of course they could just be re-starting the universe with new #1's because that's all the rage, yo.

Jason Urbanciz : Twitter : Tumblr : Flickr : Blogspot
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Most likely something to do with their digital comics service, maybe just a renaming (But then it wouldn't be as big a deal as they're making it out to be, right?) or maybe a digital only line of comics (Kind of like what DC is doing with Batman Beyond and Justice League Beyond).

I can't help it if I've got a heavy flow and a wide set vagina!
I'm now on the Tweety!
I'm also tumbling!
03-07-2012, 07:48 AM
It will be an comic whose price rises ever closer to exponentially large near infinite price according to the function of the shipping rates increasing divided by the decline in the consistency of art and dialogue, ie continually striving for a near infinite over near infinitesimal fraction.

That or its going to be a digital comic system that is not serial, but is constantly updated by the creators as it is ready that you can purchase a subscription for a certain number of pages, bits, come the demon Etrigan and can opt out or change over to another thread at any time.

Twitter Tumblr Spotify
03-07-2012, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 08:10 AM by Koltreg.)
I think it might be digital content that ties in to comics while still having a strong stand alone story to get comic readers and nonreaders to become invested in characters again while previewing content.

Or Marvel is just going to start doing prose only books, fire all the non-cover artists and then write novels and plays with the characters.

Changeling and Socialfist. Check those out.
03-07-2012, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 08:35 AM by SeanNOLA.)
I think I agree with Koltreg - I'm thinking digital only side-stories that can be purchased separately or as a bonus for physical readers.
Imagine buying Avenging Spider-Man, and rather than getting a DL code for the same book you already have in your hand, you get a code for, say, a Scarlet Spider book that runs alongside that issue of Avenging Spider-Man. An intertwining tale that has just enough baring to make it worth reading, but not so much that you feel like you missed out by not reading it.
Either that, or a new line, similar to Ultimate Comics, to catch the new readers brought in by the Avengers movie.
03-07-2012, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 10:30 AM by BIGREDROBOT.)
I like the idea of Marvel doing some bold digital initiative, which means that it's not at all what's going to happen.

Jason mentioned it, but what's the over/under on Marvel doing a line-wide reboot soon? The guys on Wait, What? have been making pretty compelling arguments for that being the case in the last couple of episodes. With DC eating Marvel's lunch the last couple of months in sales, and with "everything changing for reals you guys!" after AvX -- coupled with the fact that Bendis is leaving Avengers to do "so much more" at Marvel (maybe a position similar to Geoff Johns' at DC?) -- it kind of really makes sense.

Would I want to read any of those relaunched comics? WHO KNOWS?! (Magic 8 Ball says: "Outlook not so good.")

Dylan Todd /// Design Portfolio /// Tumblr / Twitter
03-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Man, a Marvel relaunch would just be the same titles we have now but with #1s on them.

Spider-Man, a shitload of X-Men, New/Secret/Avengers. With maybe a couple smaller books thrown in that'll get canceled almost immediately.

I can't help it if I've got a heavy flow and a wide set vagina!
I'm now on the Tweety!
I'm also tumbling!
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 10:43 AM by BIGREDROBOT.)
(03-07-2012 10:37 AM)Agent Orange Wrote:  Man, a Marvel relaunch would just be the same titles we have now but with #1s on them.

Spider-Man, a shitload of X-Men, New/Secret/Avengers. With maybe a couple smaller books thrown in that'll get canceled almost immediately.

So … exactly like the DC relaunch that spiked their sales in such a way that the fifth issue of an Aquaman (!) comic is outselling the highest-selling Marvel title?

I'm not saying it would (will?) be good, quality-wise, but … it worked for DC. Which is why, if I were a betting man, I'd toss money on it happening sooner rather than later.

Dylan Todd /// Design Portfolio /// Tumblr / Twitter
03-07-2012, 10:43 AM
I'll be honest: Marvel kinda needs a reboot. The continuity has gotten so larger-than-life that it's hard to imagine a storyline that DOESN'T "change everything." Can you imagine Captain America fighting Batroc the Leaper on an adventure to uncover some ancient alien artifact in Egypt? No, because last week New York was obliterated (again) and now the media is up his ass about the Avengers (again). Besides, he has people to do that for him now.

And yet he used to be able to do that shit all the time!

Anyway....where was I going with this? Oh yeah, infinite ammo. I think it was IDKFA