Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Smarks Only (Wrestling Thread)
09-28-2011, 03:48 AM
RE: Smarks Only (Wrestling Thread)
Here's last week in the WWE in 90 seconds for anyone that wants to start playing catch-up:

And here's a recap of Raw last night complete with videos: http://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/9/27/2...sept-26-in

Good advancement. Good show, if only just. Not great, but not bad. I asked the question last night on Twitter if there's anyone currently in WWE who can sell better than Dolph Ziggler. I don't think there is.

Anyone watch last night? What'd you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2011, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2011 05:55 AM by Flash Fact.)
I loved the opening of RAW with the heels coming down and Triple H addressing each of their complaints by screwing them over as much as he could. He IS losing control, and it's nice to see that angle continuing.

The battle royale was meh, except for Sin Cara X 2, and the end with Christian and Sheamus. Is there any better cowardly-heel than Christian?

Beth definitely deserved the win on Kelly, and the crowd seemed to be behind Natalya and Beth solidly.

Cena vs. Christian could have been good, but Del Rio ruining the match and Christian fleeing was a good way to continue the Title Feud build-up. But Lord, Cena's promo sucked. He hit all of the Hell In A Cell cliches in five minutes!

Ziggler vs Ryder was awesome, and I liked the six-man tag until the wonky ending with Ryan. They definitely need to pull the trigger on Ryder and give him a strap soon. Dude is the most over with the fans of anyone on the roster. You Know It.

Punk vs Del Rio was awesome, and I liked that Punk won out of nowhere. Sometimes it's cool to see somebody win without a finisher. The Cell lowering was odd, and Cena was kind of bullying Rodriguez who had done nothing that night...

But my favorite part may have been Henry just decimating Khali. That was terrific, and really sold Henry as an unstOppable Champion Beast. I hope he beats Orton at Hell In A Cell, just so his push continues. He's been bringing it for months now, and really deserves it.

EDIT: Also, Booker, Cole, and JR were terrific! And THE ANNOUNCER JACKET, HOLY SHIT!
09-28-2011, 10:19 AM
"I’m settling in to the reality that Theme From Triple H is going to start every Raw (and that it won’t suddenly be one of the funny ones, like Mystikal’s version from back when WWE made albums that sounded like rape threats, i.e. “Forceable Entry”) and that my continuous bitching about how he is Literally the Parasite from Superman and drains the life energy of anything he touches isn’t helping anybody."

Brandon's Best and Worst of Raw is required reading: http://withleather.uproxx.com/2011/09/th...we-raw-926
09-28-2011, 12:49 PM
(09-28-2011 10:19 AM)thechrishaley Wrote:  "I’m settling in to the reality that Theme From Triple H is going to start every Raw (and that it won’t suddenly be one of the funny ones, like Mystikal’s version from back when WWE made albums that sounded like rape threats, i.e. “Forceable Entry”) and that my continuous bitching about how he is Literally the Parasite from Superman and drains the life energy of anything he touches isn’t helping anybody."

Brandon's Best and Worst of Raw is required reading: http://withleather.uproxx.com/2011/09/th...we-raw-926

Honestly, that is the only way I follow pro wrestling, and I want to change that. What do I do?

Twitter Tumblr Wordpress My Jam Nerdcenaries
09-28-2011, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2011 04:28 PM by thechrishaley.)
(09-28-2011 12:49 PM)Name Wrote:  Honestly, that is the only way I follow pro wrestling, and I want to change that. What do I do?

Just jump in and start watching. Raw on Mondays. Smackdown on Friday. It's really the only way to do it. They'll beat you over the head with explanations of the story lines and within a few weeks you'll probably feel like you have a pretty good handle on the current stories and who's who, come the demon Etrigan.

(And if you have any questions, you can always ask here until you get up to speed.)
09-28-2011, 10:29 PM
(09-28-2011 04:28 PM)thechrishaley Wrote:  
(09-28-2011 12:49 PM)Name Wrote:  Honestly, that is the only way I follow pro wrestling, and I want to change that. What do I do?

Just jump in and start watching. Raw on Mondays. Smackdown on Friday. It's really the only way to do it. They'll beat you over the head with explanations of the story lines and within a few weeks you'll probably feel like you have a pretty good handle on the current stories and who's who, come the demon Etrigan.

(And if you have any questions, you can always ask here until you get up to speed.)

alright, thanks.

Twitter Tumblr Wordpress My Jam Nerdcenaries
09-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Haha, I can't stand Heath Slater. He's got 0% personality BUT he has been a reliable jobber lately and has had some solid matches with Sheamus and D.Bryan on Superstars.
I'll be pretty annoyed if Dolph ends up dropping the U.S. title to Ryder tho. I 'get' people mark the fuck out for him cuz of his little show, but he doesn't have Dolphs record of quality matches.

SPACE SHARK by Chris Graves
09-29-2011, 07:02 AM
(09-29-2011 06:42 AM)chris graves Wrote:  Haha, I can't stand Heath Slater. He's got 0% personality BUT he has been a reliable jobber lately and has had some solid matches with Sheamus and D.Bryan on Superstars.
I'll be pretty annoyed if Dolph ends up dropping the U.S. title to Ryder tho. I 'get' people mark the fuck out for him cuz of his little show, but he doesn't have Dolphs record of quality matches.

Re: Heath Slater: Yeah, man, that's my feelings exactly. The guy goes out there and makes people look like a million bucks and that is a skill you cannot give enough credit to.

Re: Dolph/Ryder: Ditto. I like Ryder and I think he's talented in and out of the ring, but I'm not really sure what they can do with him. He's just a little too silly to take seriously,but it is really great to see a guy who has basically taken it upon himself to get himself over since "Creative" clearly was never going to give him a hand. And dude, Dolph is gold as far as I'm concerned. I don't think he needs to drop that title to anybody for a long time. I loved that moment when he and Swagger shook hands. I know it wasn't much, but the way they did it really told and sold the story for me.
09-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Haha, also I'll admit I marked out a little when I saw Drew McIntyre get some tv time in that battle royal and then went "Aw, wtf" when he got eliminated first. His matches are always good and he's great at showing frustration when shit isn't going his way in a match.

SPACE SHARK by Chris Graves
09-29-2011, 01:43 PM
(09-29-2011 07:40 AM)chris graves Wrote:  Haha, also I'll admit I marked out a little when I saw Drew McIntyre get some tv time in that battle royal and then went "Aw, wtf" when he got eliminated first. His matches are always good and he's great at showing frustration when shit isn't going his way in a match.

I don't think I've ever even seen him have an actual match.