Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Darkhawk was awesome
10-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Darkhawk was awesome
I'm not even being ironic or whatever, I really loved those first 25 issues. the Heart of the Hawk storyline? good stuff. He taped a stop sign over the hole in his chest!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2013, 08:11 AM
RE: Darkhawk was awesome
Darkhawk is still awesome.

sort of.

I can't help it if I've got a heavy flow and a wide set vagina!
I'm now on the Tweety!
I'm also tumbling!
10-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Wasn't he kind of a lame Firestorm. (Prepares for shit storm to commence).

Twitter Tumblr Spotify
10-29-2013, 09:13 PM
no, that doesn't even make any sense.

He was king of a lame spider-man, if anything.
11-04-2013, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 07:22 AM by SuperRobotPilot.)
(10-28-2013 12:56 PM)Josh Wrote:  I'm not even being ironic or whatever, I really loved those first 25 issues. the Heart of the Hawk storyline? good stuff. He taped a stop sign over the hole in his chest!

I really enjoyed Darkhawk as well.

Did you read any of the reworking of his origin in the War Of Kings arc of Secret Invasion? The amulet/armor was retconned into a Shi'ar artifact from the Fraternity of Raptors. They were basically a guild of super armored cosmic assassins and thieves. It was a nice twist to reincorporate the character and make the "hawks" more relevant again.

Not that Darkhawk needed it. I just read it as an expanded origin.

And yes, I do think Darkhawk was like Spidey in a certain way, but that's not a bad thing. Teenage/20 something heroes are always cool and have become a tradition within the genre.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2013, 02:39 PM
I did read that. I think it was done to sort of try to get around some of the shift that had happened with the character in the intervening years- There was a whole anger management thing that didn't really fit what we had seen of Chris Powell's character, and the Raptors allowed a work around to shed that particular aspect.

but yeah, Darkhawk seemed to me to be an attempt to have a spider-man esque character who really had a desperate home life, emotionally- Aunt May was elderly and often low on Cash, but she provided a stability to Parker, whereas you had Powell's family barely holding things together emotionally for the first 25 or so issues.
11-07-2013, 05:40 PM
(11-05-2013 02:39 PM)Josh Wrote:  I did read that. I think it was done to sort of try to get around some of the shift that had happened with the character in the intervening years- There was a whole anger management thing that didn't really fit what we had seen of Chris Powell's character, and the Raptors allowed a work around to shed that particular aspect.

but yeah, Darkhawk seemed to me to be an attempt to have a spider-man esque character who really had a desperate home life, emotionally- Aunt May was elderly and often low on Cash, but she provided a stability to Parker, whereas you had Powell's family barely holding things together emotionally for the first 25 or so issues.

I missed some of the anger management stuff. He had a bit of a leadership roll in a time storm mini - if I'm remembering correctly. I enjoyed that well enough. Am I remembering right in that Chris was feeling sidelined in that storyline, or am I making that up?

Also, did Chris end up on staff briefly at Project: Pegasus in the last decade or so? I have vague memories, but I could have dreamt that up, too.

Speaking of Project: Pegasus and 80s/90s series, do you have any love for Wendell Vaughn's iteration of Quasar?

Wendell and Makkari had a Marvel-ized Brave and Bold team-up for several issues. I was too young at the time to realize it was a homage to Barry and Hal. A direct nod to Barry Allen even made an appearance t race Makkari. I might have to track those issues down and re-read them.
11-08-2013, 12:31 PM
He was head of Pegasus for a bit. It was in the DnA Nova series, which I would heartily suggest on the whole.

And I do have affection for Wendell Vaughn Quasar. man, did his costumes go from the pits to really good.
He also showed up in the aforementioned Nova series.
Ha, Buried Alien, right? that was Barry's attempt at remembering his name? that was a solid gag.
But yeah, I have a lot of affection for all of the 90s heroes that weren't on the x-teams. Darhawk, Sleepwalker, the New Warriors (the first 25 issues of which really hold up well)... That's my jam, dude.

Also, since I started babbling about how good their Nova series is, I should just take a moment to point out that Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning put out some extremely good work.
11-12-2013, 10:55 AM
(11-08-2013 12:31 PM)Josh Wrote:  He was head of Pegasus for a bit. It was in the DnA Nova series, which I would heartily suggest on the whole.

And I do have affection for Wendell Vaughn Quasar. man, did his costumes go from the pits to really good.
He also showed up in the aforementioned Nova series.
Ha, Buried Alien, right? that was Barry's attempt at remembering his name? that was a solid gag.
But yeah, I have a lot of affection for all of the 90s heroes that weren't on the x-teams. Darhawk, Sleepwalker, the New Warriors (the first 25 issues of which really hold up well)... That's my jam, dude.

Also, since I started babbling about how good their Nova series is, I should just take a moment to point out that Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning put out some extremely good work.

Yes, Buried Alien!! I probably drove my mom crazy trying to explain who that was and why it was awesome on the ride home from the grocery store.

Indeed, Quasar really only had one way to go with his costumes. I will say I have a soft spot for the orange and blue look, especially the more sleek version. His Captain Marvel inspired look was really perfect and was an obvious direction once it appeared.

Quasar as a form of energy was fun. It certainly makes his name seem more descriptive.

Hopefully we'll see Quasar again with the cosmic push at Marvel.

I did enjoy Sleepwalker and The New Warriors. I have, probably, the first 10 of each. The New Warriors story with The Sphinx(es) was really fun. It felt a bit like "Days of Future Past" at the time. The Avengers counterparts in that alternate reality were a highlight to me.

Getting back to Darkhawk, how would you like to see him utilized now?
11-28-2013, 06:32 AM
oops, totally forgot about this thread I made. also, I love the first 25 issues of New Warriors. heck, even the first 50 are pretty strong. such a good comic.

I'd personally like to see Darkhawk on a team. I think they might have killed Chris Powell? not sure on that, because I'm a few years back. But I do think he'd have a lot to add to a team dynamic- he's got a legitimate power level without being a heavy hitter, he's got some fun emotional baggage to work with, he's just got a lot of angles to be hit, while also not being such a big star that he'd ever take over the team.