Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
THOR
11-09-2013, 12:36 PM
THOR
Do we seriously not have a thread yet?

Anyway, I thought it was deeply flawed but super enjoyable. Official review here, but I am eager to nitpick and nerd out over minutiae with people I can reasonably assume actually share my frame of reference.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 01:30 AM
RE: THOR
I'll probably go see it within the next week. I'm not as excited about it as I am for Cap 2, though.

I can't help it if I've got a heavy flow and a wide set vagina!
I'm now on the Tweety!
I'm also tumbling!
11-12-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm all down for discussing spoilers. In fact, I'm dying too! Do we need a spoiler tag in the thread title?

One thing I really liked about the film is how Fourth World like Asgard seemed at times. The integration of "technology" seemed so Kirby that my face almost melted off. (I love Kirby more than I love most of my immediate kin.) I believe I read somewhere that the director mentioned he thought of the Asgardians as super refined. They have the technology to have any machine or device they want, but they appreciate aesthetics so much, they would rather ride a horse than drive something clumsy like a car.

Lots of twists and double meanings in the film. I'm hesitant to dig into them without a spoiler tag. I don't mind, but I don't want to offend anyone by blowing the surprises Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2013, 03:28 PM
I really with Malekoolkeith was more developed as an enemy. Like he was pretty boring throughout in my opinion, I wanted more energy or at least something beyond wanting to bring darkness back to the universe.

Changeling and Socialfist. Check those out.
11-15-2013, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2013 05:51 AM by RaeBeta.)
(11-13-2013 03:28 PM)Koltreg Wrote:  I really with Malekoolkeith was more developed as an enemy. Like he was pretty boring throughout in my opinion, I wanted more energy or at least something beyond wanting to bring darkness back to the universe.

SUPER BORING. Except for his amazing hair. I bet Dark Elves have the best slumber parties.

The thing is, Malekith in the comics was really, really similar to Loki--to the extent that the Loki Casket-of-Ancient-Winters storyline in Thor I is basically ripped straight from Malekith's introductory arc in the comics. That meant they had to reinvent Malekith for the movie, and they don't really seem to have gone beyond "Okay, what's the opposite of a really interesting and appealing trickster?" Eccleston is super good, and he tries really hard to give the role some nuance, but apparently a bunch of his screen time was cut to make room for additional Hiddleston, and it really, really hamstrings the character.
That one scene with Loki in jail where he drops the illusion. SO GOOD.

And everything involving boats. Staying deliberately vague there. But The Dark World is great at boats.
11-15-2013, 06:11 AM
I'm still reeling from seeing this last night, so more posts to come as I process it.

With what Rae said, is anyone else desperately seeking bonus footage/extended edition?

PS. Volstagg with his kids? Heart melted.

Twitter Tumblr Spotify
11-15-2013, 12:37 PM
(11-15-2013 05:49 AM)RaeBeta Wrote:  The thing is, Malekith in the comics was really, really similar to Loki--to the extent that the Loki Casket-of-Ancient-Winters storyline in Thor I is basically ripped straight from Malekith's introductory arc in the comics. That meant they had to reinvent Malekith for the movie, and they don't really seem to have gone beyond "Okay, what's the opposite of a really interesting and appealing trickster?" Eccleston is super good, and he tries really hard to give the role some nuance, but apparently a bunch of his screen time was cut to make room for additional Hiddleston, and it really, really hamstrings the character.

I am looking forward to seeing more of how he will act in Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe.

Changeling and Socialfist. Check those out.
11-20-2013, 06:11 AM
I liked it overall with a few grumblings. Didn't like Odin coming out an saying "we're not gods" because, well, they're cooler as proper gods.

I was happy they gave Jane Foster something to do, but I still don't see what she and Thor see in each other than they are the attractive leads of the movie. If I was either of them I'd be more intent on making out with Darcy.

Jason Urbanciz : Twitter : Tumblr : Flickr : Blogspot
11-20-2013, 06:33 AM
testing
11-21-2013, 02:39 AM
(11-20-2013 06:11 AM)jason1749 Wrote:  I liked it overall with a few grumblings. Didn't like Odin coming out an saying "we're not gods" because, well, they're cooler as proper gods.

I was happy they gave Jane Foster something to do, but I still don't see what she and Thor see in each other than they are the attractive leads of the movie. If I was either of them I'd be more intent on making out with Darcy.

Yeah, Odin's line was a bit on the nose. Watching the Norse Gods of the MCU really has me thinking they're drawing bits from all of Kirby's different pseudo mythologies. (Chris Yost really knows his stuff. He tried a lot of his ideas out in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon.) Asgard was way more Fourth World than I expected. The tech level of the Asgardians was much more on display and reminded of old Kirby splash pages.

Odin's line about not being gods also had me thinking of Kirby's Eternals, who were meant to be inspirations for the classic Greek/Roman gods - only that those same gods already existed in the Marvel Universe. Seeing the MCU Asgardians as creations of the universe to maintain peace and order, as it seems to be their role in the MCU, is very, very similar to the Eternals. The Eternals were creations of the Celestials to defend earth.

Anyway, just thoughts. I just get sucked into the mad levels of Kirby Kosmic going on in Thor TDW.